Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hamster Genetics

We did an activity on hamsters today and I decided to do my Class response blog on them. So, my topic is:

HAMSTER GENETICS

So, we all know that you can tell an organisms genetics by using a punnet square. For example, a hybrid brown hamster (Bb) and a purebred white hamster (bb) would have a %50-%50 chance of becoming a hybrid brown (Bb) or becoming a purebred white (bb). Just incase you forgot how a punnet square works, click here for a good explanation of how to make one. Now that we have that covered, we can move on. But if you are still having trouble with punnet squares, here is one that I made for this particular example. After the activity I researched hamster genetics and I found some odd facts about them. For example, Syrian Hamsters look different form each other and no one can really tell what their phenotypes and sometimes even genotypes will be. I also found out that there are even a variety of eleven basic colors! They are; Black, Black Eyed Cream, Cinnamon, Dark Eared White, Dark Grey, Extreme Dilute, Golden, Light Grey, Rust, Silver Grey, and Yellow. Don't forget, those are only the basic colors! I, personally, believe that hamsters are adorable, even though I'm not a fan of rodents.

SOURCES

Wikipedia: Punnet Square Article

River Road Hamstery Website

2 comments:

raynebow said...

Hey, colourfuly, some of these hamster colors sound like pie flavors! Black eyed cream, cinnamon...mmmm I'm getting hungry!

Colourfuly said...

Yeah, I guess they do =D